Groups That Help Teach English
To Contact for Tutors or Classes
Below is a list of groups which offer tutoring or classes for ESL in the Chicago area. The National Literacy Directory can be used to search for similar organizations throughout the country.
- College of DuPage
Profile of College of DuPage Library’s ESL Collection
425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Link to College of DuPage’s English as a Second Language (ESL) Page
Several levels of ESL classes are offered, some of which are free. Classes are offered in several locations in DuPage County. Volunteer tutors are also available. All classes require placement testing before registration. Classes fall into the following categories:
- Adult ESL: Literacy/Community Language Skills: Classes help develop English language skills needed in everyday life.
- ESL: Academic/Professional Program: Tuition based program that offers classes in Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Listening/Speaking.
- ESL: Family Literacy: For parents wanting to develop English language and reading skills to help their children succeed at school.
- Harper College Library
Reading Room Library at the Learning and Career Center
1375 South Wolf Road, Room 104
Prospect Heights, IL 60070
Contact: Oscar Arellano and Donna Culhane at (847) 925-6000 ext. 2486
Link to Harper College’s Website
- Illinois Adult Learning Hotline
Trained bilingual (English and Spanish) operators provide local program referrals for English as a Second Language classes and volunteer tutors.
- Indian Trails Public Library District
355 Schoenbeck Road
Wheeling, IL 60090
Classes through December 8, 2017
Learn basic words to describe family, home, food and other simple phrases. Practice what you learn through activities and games. Register at www.itpld.org or 847-279-2232.
Monday & Friday, 10:30 a.m. – noon.
Learn simple phrases for shopping, interviews and getting around. Practice what you learn through activities and games. Register at www.itpld.org or 847-279-2232.
Monday & Wednesday from 1-2:30 p.m. OR Tuesday & Thursday from 7-8:30 p.m.
Learn idioms, phrasal verbs, metaphors and similes. Practice what you learn using material from books, movies and radio. Register at www.itpld.org or 847-279-2232.
Tuesday & Thursday from 1-2:30 p.m.
- Literacy DuPage
24W500 Maple Ave., #217
Naperville, IL 60540
(630) 416-6699, FAX: 416-9465
Link to Literacy DuPage Website
Provides one-on-one tutoring at a time and place convenient to both the tutor and student. They are currently looking for tutors. Contact Carol Garcia to volunteer. Recommended Resources for Literacy DuPage
- Literacy Volunteers Fox Valley
Profile of Literacy Volunteers Fox Valley
St. Charles Public Library
One South Sixth Avenue
St. Charles, IL 60174
Link to Literacy Volunteers Fox Valley Website
Provides one-on-one tutoring for adult students in St. Charles, Batavia, Geneva and Elburn. They are currently looking for tutors.
- Literacy Volunteers of Western Cook County
Profile of Literacy Volunteers of Western Cook County
Mailing address: PO Box 4502, Oak Park, IL 60304
Office address: 1010 W. Lake St. Suite 603B, Oak Park, IL 60301
(708) 848-8499, Office hours are by appointment only
Link to Literacy Volunteers Western Cook County Website
Recommended English as a Second Language (ESL) Acquisitions
Provides one-on-one tutoring at a time and place convenient to both the tutor and student. They are currently looking for tutors.
- Lyons Township Adult & Community Education
Profile of Lyons Township Adult & Community Education
100 S. Brainard Ave.
LaGrange, IL 60525
Link to Lyons Township Adult & Community Education Website
Provides classroom ESL at different levels for adult students in two locations.
- Morton College – Project CARE
3801 S. Central Ave
Cicero, IL 60804
(708) 656-8000 ext. 383
Contact Karin Johnsey
Link to Project Care’s Website
Offers one-to-one and small group tutoring to ABE and ESL adult learners in reading, writing, and conversation. We are currently seeking tutors.
- Oakton Community College
Des Plaines Campus
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
7701 North Lincoln Avenue
Skokie, IL 60077
Free ESL classes; Free Citizenship Classes
There are ESL and Citizenship classes an many libraries in the area through the Oakton Community College.
Link to Oakton Community College’s VITA (Volunteers in Teaching Adults)
- People’s Resource Center
201 S. Naperville Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
(630) 682-5402 ext. 337
104 Chestnut Ave.
Westmont, IL 60559
Contact Maryanna Milton: (630) 682-5402 ext. 251, firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to People’s Resource Center Website
Offers ESL classes, basic academic skills, GED or citizenship test preparation, and more. The Literacy program is flexible, providing free classes, small groups, and one-on-one instruction at locations and times convenient for students and volunteers.
It also has One Book, One People: a monthly book group, with selections from around the world, and often bringing people of diverse cultures together
- TEACH: Tutoring English to Advance Change
Sisters of St. Joseph of LaGrange
100 S. Sixth Ave.
LaGrange, IL 60525
Link to TEACH Website
Receive free one-on-one tutoring once a week for one hour in Berwyn, Brookfield, Cicero, Downers Grove, Hodgkins, Lombard, Summit, Woodridge, and Villa Park. Tutors can also help students prepare for GED and citizenship tests.
- Township High School District 214 Community Education
2121 South Goebbert Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
Contact: Kelly Barinholtz, Transitions Coordinator, i-Pathways and Bridge Head Instructor at (847) 718-7876
Link to the Adult Education and Family Literacy Program at District 214
- Provides Adult Education classes in literacy, ESL, ABE/GED and transitioning services.
- High School District 214 Community Education Read to Learn Adult Literacy/Volunteer program offers Free one-to-one tutoring for adult learners reading English below the ninth grade level. Adult learners are matched with a train volunteer. A Site Supervisor provides individualized lesson plans and materials based on the adult learners level, need and interest.
- There are thirteen locations to choose from: morning, afternoon, and evening classes. For more information contact Kim Petersen at (847) 718-7724 or Lesley Goldberg at (847) 718-7720.
- World Relief Refugee Office – DuPage
1825 College Ave., Suite 230
Wheaton, IL 60187
Link to World Relief DuPage’s Website
Contact Marilyn Sweeney
If your organization would like to be on this list, please contact LEARN at email@example.com. Your message should include a telephone number and the name of a responsible person.