People’s Resource Center
People’s Resource Center (PRC) is a 39-year not-for-profit social service organization. PRC serves DuPage County residents in need of basic services (food, clothing, housing and emergency financial assistance) and empowerment services (ESL, computer training, job search assistance, and art enrichment). PRC serves over 31,000 people per year, has an annual operating budget of $2.8 million, and has 33 employees and over 1,900 volunteers. PRC is hiring a Literacy Coordinator to work 30 hours/week to coordinate the activities of the Literacy Program according to program goals and strategies. This position receives full benefits.
Summary of Responsibilities
• Contribute to Literacy Program conception, design, and functionality
• Ensure complete screening and registration for clients seeking literacy services in collaboration with administrative support staff
• Provide specialized support to ABE and GED classes and tutoring
• Supervise open classroom sessions by providing intensive support to volunteers and prompt assessment of client needs
• Create, coordinate, provide and/or supervise training and workshops for Literacy Program volunteers
• Assist Program Director in developing, maintaining and communicating training and development materials for clients and volunteers to ensure an effective and progressive Literacy Program
• In collaboration with Volunteer Coordinator, identify, implement and improve upon the process of recruiting and screening literacy program volunteers
• Interview, select, orient, train, support and recognize Literacy Program volunteers
• Monitor, evaluate and coach volunteers in methods to improve tutoring effectiveness
• Maintain and utilize an effective and accurate computerized system of data for the Literacy Program
• In collaboration with Community Partnerships Coordinator, assist in maintaining high levels of enrollment and positive relationships and partnerships with community organizations
Summary of Requirements
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in education, English or other related field
• 3 years’ experience working in an education setting required; preferably with adults
• Experience working with linguistically and culturally diverse client population highly desirable.
• Experience working with volunteers preferred
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Possess an interest in promoting adult literacy education; compassion for the struggles of adult learners
• Good verbal and written communication skills; Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to effectively promote PRC and the Adult Learning and Literacy Program to other organizations
• Ability to supervise a volunteer staff
• Ability to respond appropriately in varied situations.
• Bilingual/bicultural, highly desirable
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, Outlook and Internet search engines; Basic knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint; MS Access preferred
• Must have a valid Illinois driver’s license and own transportation
All candidates must be committed to PRC’s mission, vision, and community focus; be able to work independently, with a team, with volunteers & with diverse groups of people.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS FRIDAY, MAY 9, 2014
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
No phone calls, no faxes please.
People’s Resource Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer